Saturday, December 6, 2008

Cabled Purse

Wow! Didn't realize how long it'd been since I was here... I started and finished a project already! Actually it knits up so quickly it's not that surprising.

This is a cabled purse that was created by havfaith. It is my first attempt at cabling and I love it! It's so simple and looks so cool and complicated. I always thought it was difficult so avoided it at all costs.

So, the pattern is very... hmmm... variable? Mine was done using N.Y. Yarns Grande in Colour 05 which I believe is some kind of Rose. It is very thick so I cast on (I also learned a new way to cast on!) 28 using size 17 needle. Roughtly, the pattern is, starting on the right side, p2, k4, p1, k4, p1, k4, p1, k4, p1, k4, p2. Next row k2, p4, k1, p4, k1, p4, k1, p4, k1, p4, k2. Just keep repeating that. Then, on the first cabled row, p2, k4, p1, hold two aside, k2, put the two back on, k2, p1, k4, hold two aside, k2, put the two back on, k2, p1, k4, p2. The other cabled row is k2, hold two aside, p2, put the two back on, p2, k1, p4, k1, hold two aside, p2, put the two back, p2, k1, p4, hold two aside, p2, put the two back on, p2, k2. Just cabling whenever it looks like it needs it. The most difficult thing was putting on the handles and sewing up the sides :-(

The next step will be to get some fabric to line the inside so items will not fall out of the purse. I plan to avoid sewing and use that fuse stuff to iron the fabric to the purse. This will then make a lovely Christmas gift... and if the recipient is not as pleased with it as me, they'll have to return it so someone who really likes it can enjoy it!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: